Thursday, January 13, 2011

No rhythm needed...you're kidding me

A month ago a friend of mine mentioned that Zumba classes were being offered in town and asked if I wanted to go with her. Game to try anything..once...I signed up before Christmas for the classes that were to start in the New Year. I've mentioned it to a few people over the past month and was told by everyone that the instructor's name is G.I. Jane...G.I. Jane? I had visions of a large military type woman barking orders at me while I struggled to complete just one push up. Uh oh..I talked myself out of the classes and was planning on bailing but my friend begged me to go with her. Yesterday was the big day and I was dreading it. I spent the day planning my escape..."My cell phone just rang...I have to go home, Remy ate the new kitten"..."My husband just called me and the house is on fire...gotta run....sorry I can't finish the class, G.I.". The dreaded hour arrived and my friend showed up at our door to pick me up..."Let's just get it over with," I thought...yup that's a great attitude!

We arrived at the Community Centre, took off our coats, put on our running shoes and entered a large room filled with giddy women. "I'm so glad we're back at this", one woman gushed to her friend as they walked past us. "Oh don't tell me we're the only newbies", I groaned. I scanned the room looking for our fearless leader...military girl G.I. Jane. I didn't see anyone wearing Fatigues..maybe she couldn't make it? Dare I hope? Then I heard a voice..."Welcome to the PARTYYYYY...let's goooooo" and into the middle of the group jumped a young woman wearing clothing that didn't even remotely resemble Fatigues. She started gyrating and moving around the room to the music....."Come on people..join in". Join in...join in what?? Wiggling and shaking my butt? I don't think so. I could break a hip.  "Who has been here before", our leader asked. Out of the 40 women in the room, 35 put up their hands. OK so there were five of us who had never done this before....good I wasn't alone. As Jane and the 35 experienced Zumbites shook what their Mama's gave them....we five newbies stood shivering in the cold room.  Picture deer caught in headlights. "Just feel the music..you don't need rhythm..just move", chirped one of the participants as she Zumba-ed past us.  We looked at each other, shrugged and stepped out onto the floor. Well without going into painful details, I'll tell you I lived through the night but I discovered something about myself in the process. I am not one of the Jackson Five's long lost relatives..I am not one of Gladys Knight's pips...ie I have no rhythm. While others moved sensuously through the steps, I lurched and stumbled around the room. When the group moved left, I moved right. When they swirled and twirled, the rubber on my shoe caught on the floor and I fell.  When Jane told me to "feel the music", I felt a cramp starting in my left calf.  I stuck with it though and made it to the end of the class. I was sweaty and hot but I finished it. I am proud of myself for not bailing. I'm hoping over the next 8 weeks that I can find my inner goddess and learn to move more sensuously. I'm not aiming for Beyonce or Shakira...I just don't want to be compared to the Fresh Prince's cousin Carlton!

No comments:

Post a Comment