Friday, January 21, 2011

Fly Little Birds, Fly

From the moment they are born, we are preparing our children to go out on their own. We teach them to stand on their own two feet as we hold their little chubby hands and guide them across the floor. We teach them they’ll get hurt if they stick knitting needles in electrical outlets (how many times did I say “NO” to Little Darling Number One when he did that?). We teach them how to get along in the world. We guide them, shape them, worry about them.  During the Terrible Twos we wish they’d just hurry up and grow up…during the Trying Teens we wonder if we will get out alive..but we do. We survive and so do they. I won’t say unscathed…but we do survive.  From the moment my sons were born, I was preparing them to go out into the world on their own.  Why is it then, that I forgot to prepare myself for the day that they would all be standing on their own feet…leaving the nest…out on their own? This weekend my buddy, our youngest…Little Darling Number Three is moving out and starting his life with a wonderful girl I think may be “the one”.  Two weeks ago Little Darling Number Two moved out to go back to school, yet again. He’s completed four years of university, two years training to be a Paramedic and now he’s studying computer something or other. He's on his way to something big.  Little Darling Number One moved out a few years ago and is now happily married and almost ready to start his own little family. On Monday, I will begin my life as an Empty Nester. I’ll have to learn to cook in smaller batches…we don’t need giant pans of lasagna or big pots of sweet and sour meatballs anymore. I’ll experience smaller grocery bills, smaller hydro bills, having hot water every time I step into the shower and a house that stays immaculate after I clean it, for the first time in 30 years. It all sounds wonderful and it’s something I’ve dreamed about for years…but I’m not ready for it. I want them to be home for a bit longer…I want the mess, the noise…I don’t like solitude. Everything in me is screaming…”Don’t go!!!”…but I know they have to. This is what I’ve been preparing them for…the rest of their lives await. Did I remember to teach them about cross walks? Did I forget to teach them anything important?  It’s too late now…they’re on their ways.  As each of them left, they took a little piece of my heart with them. I hope they know that whenever they need me, I'll be there for them, so will their dad. We'll be there, but somehow I think they're going to be just fine standing on their own two feet...after all, they've been being prepared for this from the moment they were born.


Boys as you make your ways out in the big world remember one thing….I’ll love you forever, I’ll like you for always…as long as I’m living my babies you’ll be! (Thank you Mr. Munsch).

No comments:

Post a Comment