Thursday, February 3, 2011

My Husband the Drama Queen

Why is it when men get sick they say they’re "really" sick? Really as opposed to fake? Are they implying that when women get sick we’re not "really" sick?  For the past few days I have been living with a sick man. When the cold first landed in my husband’s body it was just a sniffle. I heard him sniff a few times and he said he thought he was coming down with a "doozy of a cold." By the next day, it had settled in and taken up residence in his chest. I had come down with it also. Hubby took to his bed.  While he lounged in bed, I cared for the dogs, chopped and stacked a cord of firewood, did the laundry and cooked and cleaned. OK maybe I didn’t do the firewood part because our fireplace is electric but you get the picture.  He asked me if we had a bell. A bell?  "What for," I asked. "To ring so you can hear me when I need something…I can’t yell down to you with this sore throat," he rasped.  Oh dear Lord! I thought of asking if I should go out and buy a bedpan but decided against that, he might have taken me up on my suggestion.  By the third day, he dragged his body down the stairs and decided to lie on the couch, "to keep me company"….what?? Why did I need company? Oh wait…he meant so I could SEE proof that he was in fact hacking and coughing (and let’s not forget moaning…..oh the moaning!).  And why pray tell me do men insist on showing us the Kleenex when they blow their noses???? Do they really think we WANT to see it?  Today is the fourth day of this cold. I think he’s getting sick of being sick. He’s starting to walk around the house…correction…drag himself around the house.  He is presently propped up in a chair with the remote in one hand and the phone in the other. I think he’s got the paramedics on speed dial just in case he relapses….

Oh me? Thanks for asking. I’ve got pneumonia…not really... but figured I’d try this drama queen thing so I could see what he gets out of it.
Enjoy your weekend Folks. Make it count…we only get one crack at this particular one ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment