Friday, November 12, 2010

The Dyanmic Duo vs. Turkeys

Is flock the right word...is it a flock of turkeys? A gaggle of turkeys...no that's geese? Wait...GOOGLE!! OK just googled it...it's a flock. I needed to know that so I could tell you about our latest hike..and the flock of turkeys who are probably still gobbling about the Dynamic Duo.

We are blessed to be surrounded by perfect surroundings for happy Golden boys to run in wide open spaces and hike along trails that wind through interesting bush where there are lots of smells and things to investigate. The boys and I hit the trails every day..rain or shine. Sometimes I change things up so they don't get bored but we always end up with running in the field. Yesterday our hike took an interesting turn when we rounded a bend in the field and before us stood a huge flock of wild turkeys! There must have been 25 of the "so ugly they're cute "critters. I stopped and stood there not knowing what to expect from the two hunting dogs at my side. Rufus froze...and stared at the birds ...Remy, sensing something exciting was about to happen moved to stand beside Big Brother. They stood frozen...absolutely still...not a whisker moved..I'm pretty sure they even held their collective breaths. The birds didn't seem to notice us..they kept lurching around, pecking at the ground..all of a sudden one stopped and looked up. It locked eyes with Rufus...GOBBLE!!! I think that was his way of warning the rest of the flock...and I'm sorry I can't really describe the noise it made..suffice it to say, the flock knew what Tom was saying and they scattered. Well that was the signal...Rufus ran towards them gathering speed as he moved forward..with Remy right behind him. Some of the turkeys went to the left..the boys followed for a few steps..some went to the right, the boys ran a few steps after them...and one went straight. Well that one had to be the one who was going to be dinner!! The boys chased it into the bush...tails wagging furiously. I heard branches cracking and the frantic rustling of leaves..... I didn't know what to expect when they emerged a couple of minutes later but certainly wasn't expecting what I saw...Rufus came trotting out of the bush with a stick in his mouth and Remy held a Tim Horton's cup! Yes folks, that's right...I am the proud mom of two hunting dogs who strike fear in the hearts of sticks and garbage wherever they go! ;)

Have a wonderful weekend...enjoy some family time, make some memories and if you haven't already done so...hug your dog!

No comments:

Post a Comment