Monday, November 1, 2010

The Dynamic Duo vs. Trick or Treaters

Halloween is over but for two children who came to our door last night, the memory will live on in their minds for years to come. We rarely get trick or treaters at our door because we live in an area where the driveways are fairly far apart. Kids don't want to trek up and down the road for 30 minutes and cover 20 houses when they can go into town and hit 100 houses in the same amount of time. This year however, two little boys and their mom decided to cover our road. At about 6:15 the door bell rang. Now the doorbell ringing may not be cause for celebration in your house...but in our house party hats are donned and noise makers are brought out...the doorbell means people are here to play with Rufus and Remy. I opened the door to see two boys around 5 and 7 years of age standing on the other side. Mom lurked on the other side of the gate we have at the top of the porch steps. The eldest of the two boys had a mask on his face and his little brother wore a long cape and make up. Big Brother opened his mouth..."Trick or Tr......" he didn't get to finish his sentence. Remy jumped on the screen door, knocking the screen out onto the porch floor. Rufus saw the massive opening as his opportunity to escape and investigate our visitors up close and personal. He darted through the hole left by the screen and ran over to Big Brother who backed up against the brick wall...screaming. "It's OK..he won't hurt you," I said as I reached for Rufus' collar. Rufus jerked away from me intent on grabbing the mask off the kid. Meanwhile, behind me I heard another scream. I glanced over my shoulder to see Little Brother being tackled by Remy who had discovered the long cape. As Little Brother tried desperately to stay on his feet, Remy grabbed the bottom of the cape and ran to the other end of the porch, dragging Little Bro screaming behind him. By this time, Mom had catapulted over the gate to rescue her youngins. As she pulled the cape out of Remy's mouth, I heard a ripping sound...the kid started crying. Turning my attention back to Rufus and Big Brother, I saw Rufus heading back through the door opening with the mask in his mouth. Now, Big Brother is standing in stunned silence...Little Brother is quietly crying and Mom is glaring at me. I smile lamely at them all and wish them a Happy Halloween. I somehow doubt they'll be back next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment